Delicious Meringue Buds
Meringue is a sweet crunchy dessert made from egg whites and caster sugar, it’s the base of the beautiful fresh pavlova. Meringue buds are easy to make and can be coloured to your desire, you can make a simple meringue bud or star shape bud depending upon the tip you choose. You can even choose to pip shapes like hearts and flowers.
As extra treat take two buds and place them together with some frosting, they look and taste a real treat.
4 egg whites, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, whisking well between each addition, until sugar dissolves.
- Once all the sugar has been added, continue to whisk on high for 3 mins. Whisk in the vanilla essence.
- Separate mixture into 4 equal parts and add a few drops of food colouring. Gently fold the colour into the mixture.
- Place meringue mixture into 4 piping bags and pipe onto lined trays to form meringue buds.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 90°C.
- Bake meringues for 1 hour. Turn oven off and leave meringues in the oven to cool completely.
Tip – Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.